So it’s decided – you want to start making virtual tours TODAY. But then you realise – you don’t actually have a 360º camera! What do you do now?? Luckily, you stumbled across this blog where we will explain to you how to make a virtual tour using Iphone or Android – and better yet – with a FREE app!
Here’s what you need:
Ok so now you have your tools we will start to make a virtual tour using Iphone or Android using the following quick steps (scroll down for images & our review)
- Open the Google Street View App
- Click on the camera icon (create)
- Choose “Take Photo Sphere”
- Point the camera to the orange dot and wait until it has taken it’s first image
- Repeat pointing your camera until all the orange dots are gone and a green checkbox appears in the bottom of your screen
- Click on the green checkmark and wait for the processor to finish
- (Android only) Once finished, click on “profile” and select the image you just made
- (iPhone only) Click on the image
- Click on the “share” icon (upload icon on iPhone)
- Select “share privately”
- (iPhone Only) Click on “save image”
- (Android only) Save the image to your Google Drive
- Once saved to your Google Drive, open the Google Drive App
- Select your image
- Click the 3 dots in the top right corner
- Select “download”
- Now you can see the image in your camera roll
- You can now upload the images to your My360 account using the My360 app or send the images to your desktop (if they are not the right size) . I use Airdrop to send my images to the desktop, but you can also use email (make sure to select “original size” ). Then from there you can edit them and upload them to your account. However, you can also upload them straight to your account from your phone, so continue these steps if that is what you want to do.
- Open the My360 App
- Create a new tour profile or click on an existing one
- Click + Spheres
- Click “select spheres”
- Click “from gallery”
- Choose the image(s)
- Click “upload” and wait for the images to finish uploading (don’t close the app!)
Now you can proceed to create a virtual tour using the desktop software. Follow this link for a full guide
If your images are not the correct size, please resize them first and then upload them using your computer
Here is the same guide but now with pictures:
Open the streetview app and click on the camera (create) icon. Then click on the “(Take) Photo Sphere” and point your camera to the orange dot. Once the first dot is completed, it will show you the next dot. Continue shooting all the dots until the checkmark is green.
The images will overlap and look horrible, but don’t worry, the app will process the images to take out most of the errors.
Once all the images have been taken, you will see a green check mark at the bottom of your screen. Click that to start the processing. (if the checkmark is NOT green, you are missing more dots – shoot them all, otherwise the image won’t be 360º)
(Hover over the below images to view Android or iPhone settings)
Once the process is finished, click on the image (android, click on profile first, then on the image) then click the “upload / share icon” and then choose “share privately”. On the next screen save the image to your camera roll (iPhone) or save to your Google Drive (Android) or choose “airdrop” to send them straight to your phone (iPhone).
If you used Airdrop, you can stop here. Your images are now on your computer and your can continue with this guide to learn how to make a virtual tour with the images.
If you saved them to your phone (iPhone) or Drive (Android) , then continue reading to find out how to upload them direct to the My360 software using your phone.
Android users need to go to their Google Drive on their phone, click on the image and save it to their gallery
Now your images will be in the image gallery (both Andriod & iPhone)
Click on the My360 App and then click on “+new” to add a new tour profile, or select and exiting profile. Then click on “+Spheres” and choose “select spheres”
NOTE: if you are unable to upload images – make sure the My360 App has access to your camera. Check this in your phone settings.
Select the camera image gallery, then choose the image(s) you want to upload – you can upload up to 15 images in 1 time. Then click “upload” and wait for the upload to finish.
Once all images have been uploaded you can close the app and move on to the desktop version of the software to start making your virtual tour with the images you just uploaded.
Now I hear you say: This is amazing! And I don’t even have to purchase a camera!
And you’re quite right, it is pretty amazing that this can all be done for free, but keep in mind… using your phone and a free app – the images are not going to look as good as they would using a 360º camera.
You will find that using the app with your phone will leave you with many stitching errors and the quality is only going to be as good as your phone camera quality allows. So in a dark room, or a room with too much light, you might find it hard to make a good image.
Here’s an example shot with the iPhone 8 Plus in bad weather:
Here’s another one, using a Samsung Galaxy Phone:
You see, stitching can go horribly wrong… But at least it’s a start and you can now make a virtual tour using iPhone or Android! And when you’re ready to purchase your first 360º camera, don’t forget we have some great camera deals on at the moment!
This was very helpful – I’m trying to keep up with new technology – I’m 65 and love to learn